Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Loy Krathong Night in Bangkok

Today is Loy Krathong (Thai: ลอยกระทง) and I have yet to decide where to go and celebrate!? I used to go to Chaophraya River near BTS Taksin (Sathorn) to celebrate but this year I want to catch up with the festivities at Lumpini Park to place my Krathong, as its been a very long time since I've went there.

Loi Krathong Bangkok

Loi Krathong 2008

Loy Krathong is one of the most popular festivals in Thailand, and yet it is not a public holiday. "Loy" means to float and "Krathong" is a traditional raft hand-made from parts of banana tree trunk, bread or flowers, decorated with folded banana leaves, flowers, candles, and incense sticks.

Loy Krathong 2008

Loy Krathong Bangkok

I wish I was in Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong celebrations, I want to light up one of those Lanna-style hot-air Yi Peng lanterns.

Loy Krathong Chiang Mai Yi Peng Lanterns

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you cannot make your mind up on where to celebrate Loy Krathong then my advice would be to do "Whatever floats your boat".

S827iejzb said...

wow...that's beautiful.